Whoever said a burger has to be made with beef? This Chinese Tofu Burgers with Paprika Wedges are simply delicious and a great tea for a Saturday night.
Whether you’re vegan, vegetarian or just fancy a meat free meal, this is one that we’re sure you’ll want to do again and again. It takes around 1 hour to prepare and cook, but it’s well worth the wait.
Ingredients for 2 people
For the Chinese Tofu Burgers
- Tofu 400g
- Sunflower oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon of ginger, grated
- 3 tablespoons of rice wine
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of chilli garlic sauce
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable stock
- 2 ciabatta’s
- Sunflower spread
- Salt and Pepper
For the Paprika Wedges
- 3 potatoes, peeled and sliced
- Olive oil
- Firstly, heat your over to 200C for the wedges.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into wedges and place on an oven tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil and then season with salt, pepper and a generous amount of paprika. Give the wedges a toss so they are seasoned on both sides and place in the oven for around 40-50 minutes.
- Then, drain the tofu from the packet and cut the block in half (to make two burgers) and leave to dry on kitchen roll for about 20 minutes. Rest a book on top to help drain out the water.
- When the tofu is very dry, season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a generous amount of sunflower oil in a frying pan and place the two slices of tofu into the pan.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides and then remove from the pan and place on kitchen roll to dry.
- Now make the marinade for the burgers by heating some oil in a pan, add the garlic and grated ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the soy sauce, rice wine, chilli garlic sauce and 3 tablespoons of the vegetable stock and give it a good stir.
- When it starts to bubble, it should start to become thicker and sticky in texture a minute or two later. At this point, add the tofu back into the pan and allow the sauce to marinade the tofu burgers for around 2 minutes.
- Cut the ciabatta’s in half and spread with sunflower spread, place the tofu burgers onto each ciabatta and add some lettuce to give it some crunch.
- Remove the wedges from the oven and place on the side of the plate next to the tofu burger. Season the wedges with salt and enjoy!